Thursday, August 12, 2010

New Shoes, New Shirt, New Route

My new shoes arrived yesterday. I bought the Asics Gel-Nimbus 11 running shoes from Amazon.com. They feel good. I did a short run of 2 miles and then 1 mile walking last evening to start breaking them in. I also received a running shirt as part of registering for the marathon. Between the shoes, the shirt, and my natural good looks, I looked great!

This morning I had a bit of a hard time getting started, however. Just after I walked out the door, the battery on my mp3 player died, which meant no tunes for the morning. My pedometer, which does not actually measure my distance accurately (after doing 6 miles on Town Lake Saturday, it said I had done .15!), also bit the bullet this morning. It has a clock on it, which I use to keep track of my speed, and to some degree, my distance. I had to really force myself to say I could make it a decent run, and set out grudgingly with my eye on 3 miles. I hit the road at a slower pace then normal, doing what I think was probably 13 minute miles and went my usual route. I got to the park, ran under the road, and came out to another park, which I started running last week. When I got to the end of the trail at the second park, there was a sidewalk leading into the neighborhood, so I took it instead of turning around. I followed the road to the middle school, then back up and around the soccer fields, up to the head of Harper Park, then turned around and came back. When it was all said and done, I hit right around 5 miles, I think (remember, my pedometer was dead, so I had no way of timing myself and determining how far I ran). It was a good run, and the new shoes feel great.

Tomorrow will be a lite upper body workout. I want to rest my legs for a day before running Town Lake Saturday. My goal is to do 6 miles Saturday running at a pace of 12 minute miles. So, anyone wanting to run Saturday, meet at Town Lake under the First Street bridge at 6:30! See you then.

Food for thought: Veni, Vidi, Vici.

No comments:

Post a Comment