Monday, August 9, 2010

Sermon Block

I know that I set out to write a blog about training for a marathon, but I have to make a confession. I have had a severe case of sermon block for quite some time, which has been quite frustrating. I have even pondered whether or not this is still my calling. I know that it is, but I am finding myself frustrated each week as I try to figure out what to preach about. Then something happened. As I was going through this struggle, I received a comment on one of my posts that said there was probably a sermon in this running thing. This brought a tear to my eye, as I began to realize that my sermons have been more of a job, rather than a calling, and that I was going through the actions of sermon preparation and delivery without having any real motivation. As I went through the week, I began looking at suggested lectionary readings and came across Isaiah 1:1, 10-20. I will not quote it here, but the gist of the message was that the people were going through the actions of worship, but their actions were empty, and hated by God. I began to realize that I was guilty of this same sin! So, I decided I needed to make a change.

In truth, I have not been as zealous in any other aspect of my life as I have been with marathon training. I have not been as passionate about my work with the kids at the Boys & Girls Club as I once had. I have not shown as much passion with my family as I once had. It is time for me to refocus my life and reset my priorities. I am setting work goals which will be focused on impacting the lives of youth. I am continuing to work on strengthening my family and our relationships. And I am changing my sermon prep time.

So, my first post of the week will be about the potential lectionary readings for the week. I need to refocus on looking at Scriptures early in the week and thinking about what I will preach about the following Sunday. So here are some thoughts on next Sunday.

Lesson 1: Isaiah 5:1-7
The prayer of the vineyard. In this passage, God refers to Israel as a vineyard he created to produce good grapes, but the vineyard instead gave wild grapes. Thus, the owner will allow it to grow wild and will stop tending his vineyard. Are we producing wild grapes in our lives, or good fruit?

Lesson 2: Jeremiah 23:23-29
In this passage God challenges the false prophets, those who dream dreams that are not what God wants. "Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let the one who has my word speak my word faithfully. What has straw in common with wheat? says the LORD."

Lesson 3: Hebrews 11:29-12:2
This is a powerful narrative about the power of faith, setting example after example of how faith has helped people persevere. The message seems to be that our faith does not keep us from suffering so much as to guarantee the long-term end of suffering through death and resurrection. This is the message we must remember: faith does not mean easy life; faith means salvation.

Lesson 4: Luke 12:49-56
I come to bring fire and I wish it were already kindled. This was the passage of scripture I preached from my first sermon in my first church. It talks about Jesus turning families against each other, father against son and mother against daughter. "You hypocrites! You know how to interpret the appearance of earth and sky, but why do you not know how to interpret the present time?" What are the signs of the times today? Where is there injustice in the world? What are we doing in response to these injustices? Where is God leading you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment