Monday, September 27, 2010

It's Been a While

It's been about 3 weeks since my last long run.  Two weeks ago today I did 8, and it was a struggle.  I've run with my running team a few times since then, including one timed mile run.  I have been pleased that my timed runs are getting faster.  In about 3 weeks I've gone from a 12:26 mile to right under a nine minute mile!  I ran with my daughter last week in Lubbock.  She warned me about a hill we would be running up in Lubbock.  Really, Danielle?  Over the course of a half mile we climbed maybe 10 feet!  It was fun to run with her, though, and we did a decent 3 mile run.

This morning I decided it was time to get back out and do the long run.  I would have done this Saturday, but we were pushed for time with a big work event, so Saturday's run was only 3 miles, but at a fairly quick pace.  Today I met Amanda under the MoPac bridge and we took off.  Her goal was 7, so she went with me to IH-35.  We stopped briefly at South First for a water break, then went on our way.  We walked a short piece across IH-35 and said our good byes, then I took off for Longhorn Dam.

Up to this point I have been doing about 13:30 minute miles on my long run, but we were averaging 12.25 on our first 4 miles.  Unfortunately, I had to stop for about 6 minutes to wait to be able to cross IH-35, so I had significant time added to my run.  Despite that, however, I still averaged 12:57 miles, taking about 5 miles off my run time!

I have to say the cool weather helped quite a bit with this.  It was 54 when I left this morning, chilly with a lite breeze.  Having people to run with helps, as well.  I will be doing a timed mile Wednesday, and my goal is 8:15.  Saturday when we do our group run, I will be doing ten again, and I believe Amanda will be doing it with me.

As for the rest of you, stay active!  I hope to see you at the finish line February 20, 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment