Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Half Marathon

Milestones are nice, aren't they?  Amanda and I set a goal to run 13 miles yesterday.  That is a half marathon, and a third longer then we have been running.  We decided that we needed to spend 2 weeks at that distance, even if we walked the last 3 miles, just to get to the next stage.  We met up a little late on a humid and hot morning and took off on our run.  First, we did a 3 mile loop, realizing that if we did ten, then tried to tack on the 3, we may not succeed.  As I said, it was hot and humid, and a difficult run, but we did the first loop and began the real run.  Each bridge over Town Lake was a temptation to cut the run short, but our will power was stronger then temptation, and we raged on.  Well, moved on is more like it.  But we moved.  As we passed Congress Avenue, we discussed walking the hill up IH35.  But the closer we got to the interstate, the more I felt we should run, so I encouraged Amanda, who called me a liar, grumbled, argued, then finally decided, as I knew all along, that I was right.  So, up we ran.  About 2/3 of the way up, however, I was running out of steam.  I was not sure that I would be able to make the sharp assent, and I began to complain.  Amanda sternly rebuked me, saying that running up the hill was my idea, that I forced her into it, and that I had no choice but to keep going.  I called her a liar, grumbled, argued, then finally decided, as she knew all along, that she was right, so I ran up the hill.

We celebrated the feat with a toast of Clif Bar Gel Shots, trying to restore our energy through the delicious, thick snack of glucose and caffeine.  (Note to self, a shot of scotch is a whole lot tastier then a Clif Bar Gel Shot!)  We then started running again.

The humidity was really getting to me.  I was drenched with sweat.  I could feel it pouring off every inch of my body and my clothing.  I felt sluggish and uncomfortable, and longed for the water station on the other side of the interstate.  I was starting to feel dehydrated and wondered if I would be able to make the whole run.  We ran to the dam, walked across, walked/ran on and finally crossed the interstate.  I could taste the water as I ran, and knew that its life-giving potion would allow me to live.  But as we approached, we were not met by water.  Not even the bench the water normally sits on was there.  It was a tease, and we were forced to go on, thirsty, hot, and not very happy.  We decided that the next water fountain would be our next stop, so we kept on, looking for the next place to hydrate.  After an eternity of about 3 minutes, the water fountain came in to view.  New life and energy filled my soul as I surged on.  I hit the button to the magic machine, only to find that it did not work.  Pushing harder did not help, nor did yelling at the lifeless hunk of metal.  With a sad heart, I went on, still thirsty, still needing to replenish fluids.

The next water fountain worked, but only a little, with the water just dribbling over the spout.  As parched as I was, I did not feel that the little water I would get from this fountain would help.  So I pressed on, Amanda encouraging me.  I considered  plunging myself into the lake, but thought better of it, so I continued with a combination of runs and walks.  I actually ended up walking about the last mile and a half.  Amanda finished stronger then me, but we both found it to be a bit of a challenge.  I quickly drank my Gatorade and water, replenishing fluids, and wondering what we were thinking.  I decided that I really did not need to run a marathon, after all, and decided it was time to give up on my training.

We will be running a half marathon again next week.  We will have camel backs to keep us hydrated, and we will leave earlier in the day.  I am proud to say that yesterday I ran a half marathon.  I know that soon I will be able to say that I completed a full marathon, and that while I might complain during some of my runs, I will prevail!

And I have to say that I could not be doing this without support from my readers and followers.  The comments I get help me to press on.  It is certainly a wonderful thing to be surrounded by so many supporters.

Until next time, keep on keeping on!

No comments:

Post a Comment