Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Interval Running

Several people have suggested I participate in interval runs as a way to increase my speed.  Interval runs, in case you don't know, are fast runs interlaced with slower runs.  For example, my regular pace is about 12.5 minute miles, but I want to be running at 8 minute miles.  So, I would do a short warm-up pace at a slow pace, then do a tenth mile at my 12.5 minute mile, followed by a mile at my target speed, then back to a tenth at current pace, followed by a mile at targeted speed, and so forth.  Today I decided to do my first interval run on the treadmill Maline's mom just gave us.  This gave me control on what I was doing and how I was doing it, so I knew that I would not be likely to hurt myself in the process.  I started out at a slow walk, then moved to my tenth mile at five miles per hour (12 minute mile).  I then went to 7 miles per hour for the next mile (8.57 minute miles).  This was the fastest I thought I would be able to go for a mile, so it seemed like a good starting point.  After all, 3 weeks ago, I was very pleased with 8:55 miles on the track, so 8:57 seemed like it should be a good challenge.

At the end of the mile I resumed my slower pace for a tenth mile.  I realized that 7 miles per hour seemed too easy, so I did my next mile at 8 miles per hour (7.5 minute miles).  Half way through I realized this still seemed too easy, so I raised the incline on the treadmill to get more of a challenge.  At the end of a mile I returned to 5 mph for a tenth of a mile, then decided to jump to 9 mpg (6.7 minute miles).  I set the incline at 2.5 and ran.  Surprisingly, I maintained the pace for the entire mile, making me feel extremely proud of my self.  At the end of the mile, I slowed to 5 mph, then 4 mph, before coming to a stop.  In all, I did 3.5 miles in 30 minutes, thus maintaining an average of 7 mph over the length of the run.  In other words, I sustained an average speed that was the same as what I had been forcing myself to do for only a mile.  I felt I could keep going, but decided that I had beaten my goal and it was best not to risk hurting myself by pushing too hard.

When I finished the interval trainings, I started working on core strengthening.  Six Hundred crunches and other variants of abdominal exercises had me feeling the best I've felt in some time.  In fact, I cannot remember ever feeling this healthy, motivated, and in shape!  Just a few weeks ago I was going to be content to finish the marathon under the 7 hour maximum time alloted.  Now my goal is to be under 4 hours, and perhaps even under 3.5.  When I started this journey, I never imagined that I would set a goal like that.  But now it seems attainable, and like I would be cheating myself not to run the marathon in less then four hours!

Daily I find more people who are following my writings and offering words of encouragement.  I am inspired by the people that tell me I am their inspiration.  I am ready for that medal which says that I completed the 26.2 miles, as well as the 26.2 sticker to put on the back of my car!

Finally, I have to thank my wife, Maline, and my son, Josh, for all their support.  They get up in the mornings a few times per week after I've already left for a run.  I am not there to help them in the mornings, and they never complain or get upset.  I did not consider how much time this training was going to take away from them.  I am grateful for their continued support!

Until next time, remember:  Run, Live, Sleep, Repeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment