Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Twenty Miles

So Sunday was supposed to be my big run before the race.  My longest pre-accident run was 14 miles, and my longest post-accident was 10, a hard 10, at that.  My goal was to run 20 miles Sunday afternoon after church.  I knew I would walk some, since I have really only had about 4 weeks of training after a two month break, but I was OK with that.  I left church and was driving home, when my car died from a blown head gasket.  The toe truck did not get the car back to my house until about 5:00, too late to get my run in.  I did not have time to run Monday, and bad weather was coming Wednesday, so I decided to do my 20 miles Tuesday after my Kiwanis meeting.

I got to Town Lake a little before 9 a.m. and stretched, got ready, and hit the trail at 10:15.  The first stretch I went from the bridge to the Stevie Ray Vaughn statue, about 2 miles in 24 minutes, which is better then I normally do.  I did a quick walk from there to the water station, some 50 yards away, got some water, then started back again.  I climbed the miserable hill on Riverside and was able to keep going.  In the past, I've climbed the hill then walked a bit to recover.  I got to IH35 and was still going strong.  There are four places to cross the access road at 35.  The first one had no traffic, and I crossed easily.  The next two both had the lights going for me as I approached.  The last crossing, however, is always difficult, and I ran in place for about 2 minutes waiting to cross.  Finally I heard a car horn, looked up, and saw that a cabby had gotten the attention of a bus driver and they both stopped to let me cross.  I felt like I had my own cheering squad in these 2 strangers!  I found myself running the next 6 miles without a walk, a first for me.  Even when I did walk, it was a short distance at a quick pace.  I ended up completing the first 11 miles in two hours and 12 minutes, which I was very pleased with.

As I was finishing the first lap, however, I began getting leg cramps.  I would hit the ground and immediately feel a cramp hit.  As I stopped running, the pain went away.  I stopped and stretched, but could not get rid of the pain while running.  I thought about stopping, but decided to press on.  Over the course of the next three miles I tried an occasional run, but still found it painful.  After the third mile, I was apparently stretched enough that I was able to start running again.  My body was feeling the pain of over three hours of movement, but my spirit soared as I had yet another epiphany that I was going to complete the marathon.  My hope was to complete the 20 miles in 5 hours.  I figured that if I could do that, I could easily complete the marathon in the alloted 7 hours.  It would not be the best time for a marathon, but for someone who had an accident and could not train for 2 months, it would not be bad.  I ended up completing the 20 miles in about 4.5 hours, and was very pleased; sore, but pleased.

I still am stiff in my hips today, and now know that I need to work on some good IT band stretches between now and race day.  I am working on my diet for the next two weeks, as well as a run strategy.  I have no doubt that I will complete the race this year, and next year I will run with a good time.  In the meantime, I am now just relaxing.  No more long runs, no more pushing my body.  I am to the point of lite runs and relaxation.

I want to thank everyone for your continued support.  Keep me in your thoughts and prayers.  Next week I will post highlights about you can trace me on race day via I-Phone or computer.  Remember our fundraiser at Water 2 Wine on Anderson Lane next Wednesday night from 8:00 to 10:00.  $25 for unlimited wine tastings, and silent auctions items, including a session with a trainer, wine baskets, massage and autographed sports memorabilia.  There are also some great door prizes.  Come out, have some good wine and fun, and help our team kick-off Marathon Week!

1 comment:

  1. You know what they say, "no pain, no gain". Well, Babe, you have gained a lot. I am proud of your commitment and perseverance to the task at hand. I look forward to traipsing around Austin on Feb. 20th trying to keep up with you to cheer you on. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete