Monday, September 5, 2011

Excuses, Excuses

Forgive me, Father, for I've not run. It has been over 2 months since my last run. I've had excuses. For one, it has just been too hot. Here in Austin we've had the most days of 100 degrees or above on record, the most 100 degree or above days in a row, and a tie for the hottest day in Austin's history at 112 degrees. And it has been dry, the driest summer on record. In fact,wild fires destroyed close to 11,000 acres and close to 60 homes just yesterday, so weather has been a good excuse. Also. I've had much on my plate. My grandfather fell toward the end of June and ended up in rehab from July 5 to August 8. I'm the closest relative and hold his medical power of attorney, so I was going to see him at least once, if not twice a day. He moved in with us on the 8th, and we had 27 people at our house to celebrate his 90th birthday. In addition, Danielle graduated from Texas Tech the first weekend in August, so there was a whirlwind overnight trip to Lubbock in there. I've also been trying to get grandpa's house ready to terminate the lease, so I've been busy. But all of that is excuses, nothing more.

I went to the dentist a few weeks ago, and when they took my blod pressure, it was very high. I always have low blood pressure except at the dentist, so I wasn't overly concerned. Later that day I checked it at HEB, and it was higher, still. I made an appointment with the doctor the next day and found not only was my blood pressure high, but I've gained 20 pounds since my last visit in May. I knew the cause: I'd stopped running. But starting again and developing that routine isn't easy!

A cold front blew through yesterday, and we were told to expect cooler temps for Memorial Day. Maline and I decided to take advantage and walk/ run this morning. So, after a banana, a cup of coffee and feeding grandpa breakfast, we took Rufus and headed out. We walked the half mile to the trail in cold (76 degrees) weather, and then I started to run. My goal was five miles, walking no more then half. My first mile and a half was difficult, but as I got to the turn for the 5 mile stretch I started to get a second wind, so I went straight, on a route that would allow me anything from 5 to 7.5 miles of running. I felt strong at each trail, and kept choosing the longer routes. I did not feel the need to walk until about 6 miles in, but decided to push on another half mile so I could say I ran a quarter marathon (this time last year I was only up to about 3 miles!), so I pressed on. At 6.5 I decided that I could run to the park, another 1/2 mile, and at the park I realized I only had a half mile to go until I got to my cool-down phase, so I finished 7.5 running non-stop and waked the half mile home.

My body is now telling me I overdid it, but my head is saying, "Let's do that again!". I did much better then I anticipated and am ready to start training again! So, look out, Austin, Marathon Man is back! Can't wait to hit Town Lake!

No comments:

Post a Comment