Wednesday, February 23, 2011

And Finished!

Well, I have finished my first marathon.  Sunday, February 20, I gathered around the state capital with 17,999 of my closest friends to traipse around Austin.  I got in with the 5:00 pace group (they are supposed to set a run pace for you to complete the race in five hours), which I knew was a little faster then I anticipated, but I figured I would start out there and see how I did.  My group got out of the gate at 7:22, 24 minutes after the start gun, and we were off with a sea of people.  A five hour pace means running about a 11.4 minute mile.  However, we finished the first mile in less then ten minutes, and were at three miles in about 28 minutes.  I realized that at that pace I would run out of steam way too soon, so I forced myself to fall back a little.  That was just about the time that I saw Maline for the first time on the race route at Oltorf and Congress.  It was great to see her there and to have the moral support.  We had just climbed a fairly steep couple of hills, and having her there to cheer me on was a wonderful support.

As I ran, people would call out my name and offer words of encouragement.  It was about 5 miles into the race when I realized that my name was on my bib in big letters for people to see, and the thousands of people who were out in their yards, at their businesses or at water stations along the way were there to support us in our endeavor.  This was all the more helpful after mile 16, when I was starting to slow down, and 20, when I was walk/running.  As we ran across Ceaser Chavez toward MoPac, we came to the "Yellow Mile," the first of the Livestrong stretches.  There people cheered us on, gave out water, and flooded the sides of the course with inspirational signs and posters.  This much needed boost at mile 9 was a welcome part of the race, as we were hitting a long, steep hill, which by the way, was my first walk in the race.  I walked about 50 yards while I did an energy gel shot, then was back on to running.

Maline and her friend Tricia met me just after we turned off Cesaer Chavez, and I told them I needed a banana.  About a mile up the road I ran into them again by a Starbucks, got the banana, and felt a hundred times better.  They met me several times along the route, and their encouragement was critical for my success.  By mile 16, which was at Camp Mabry, I was ready for a bathroom break.  The half-marathoners had broken off at mile 11, so there were shorter lines and fewer people.  As I came out of the restroom, I looked and saw a sea of people behind me.  I was not the last person in the pack, which made me feel great!  I set off and ran another 4 miles before I needed to slow down and intersperse walks with my runs.  That was not before I went through one block of people supporting the runners from their front yards, and having a great deal of fun doing it!  There were signs on the road  written in chalk that said, "beer ahead."  Finally, there was a sign with an arrow into a driveway, where a group of men were pouring glasses of beer for the runners.  I told them it was tempting, and one of them said, "You look like you need some energy.  Come over and carb up."  It would have been rude to say no, said being a good Texan, I had a beer with my new friends.  As I drank it, I noticed signs in the yard across the street which I found humorous.  One said, "26.2.  Because 26.3 is just CRAZY!" and another said, "Puke & Rally (but don't puke here!).  I told them I liked the signs and ran on.

My friend Amanda lives on the route just before mile 22.  Maline and Amanda told me they would all be there waiting for me, and I pressed on to her apartment.  I was walking most of the way from mile 20 to her place, where I got another banana, chatted with Maline, Amanda, Tricia and Amanda's boyfriend, Mike.  We got some pictures and I started off again.  At mile 22 I started running again, but was only able to do about half a mile, likewise at 23.  I ran all of 24, then walked the first half of 25.  At about 25.5 I began to run up a steep hill, closing in on the finish line.  At 800 meters I began to sprint, well, as fast as one can sprint 6 hours and 35 minutes into a race.  Finally, after what seemed an eternity, I turned the corner and saw the finish line.  I finished in 6 hours and 40 minutes, not a course record, but there were still many behind me, and even more who did not make it at all.  I completed my first marathon.  Maline was at the finish, and she was a very welcome sight!

After crossing the finish line, we went to where the medals were given out, and I stood there as my medal was put around my neck and the volunteer told me he was proud of me for completing the marathon.  After he was done, I literally could not move my legs and had to work for some time at willing them to move.  We walked to the car, maybe a half mile away, and as Maline was unlocking the doors I found myself wobbling.  I was about to just fall over, not from being dizzy or light-headed, but from not having enough strength in my legs to keep me upright.  Maline got me into the car and we were off.  We stopped at Starbucks on the way home.  I wore my bib and medal into the store, not to show them off, but because I did not have the energy to take them off.  I ordered a Chai Latte, regular, feeling that I did not need to do skinny today!  Strangely, I tasted no difference between the regular and the skinny, but it still was nice to know that I earned the sugar and fat fix!  After all, I had likely burned some 4,000 calories during the day.

I will run the marathon again next year, with a goal of doing it in under 4 hours.  Then I will run New York as my last marathon. However, running will forever be a part of my life.

Thanks to all who have read the blog and supported me along the way.  I will keep writing about my endeavors here, but I will also be looking at sharing other thoughts and insights from life.

So until next time, remember:  26.2.  Because 26.3 is just CRAZY!

Post Script:  As I proofread this posting, my eyes swelled with tears.  This has been a goal for a long time, one that had really been more of a dream up until a year ago.  I am proud of having met this goal, and am forever grateful to all who helped me get here.

3 comments:

  1. if this were facebook: "LIKE! LIKE! LIKE!!" Now I need to get up and take Bella out or I'll be late meeting you for our Budget tutorial. Today YOU are making me late :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was Michael's first Marathon to run, and it ws my first one to watch. It was an incredible and amazing experience. At Oltorf where i saw Michael the first time, I was astonished by all the runners. Like a sea of People, the runners would flow by sometimes in trickles and then a huge wave of colorful t-shirts would swish by. I was really nervous about not seeing Michael in time and missing the photo op, but then after about an hour he was there at a nice pace and smiling at me. I was so proud of him. I saw him four other times on the trail, as many times as I could scooting around Austin on the back of Tricia's scooter. Tricia and i would run into other runners over and over during our adventures and had funny lines to share with them and them with us. It was just over all a great experience and I encourage others to get out to watch a Marathon. You can't help but come away from it with a wonderful feeling.

    Thanks, Michael, for sharing this journey of yours with me, and giving me the opportunity to participate in a Marathon. I am so proud of you and look forward to the next two Marathons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I am so proud of you! I just can't put into words how impressed I am with what you have done with this race -- the preparations, even through the accident, and the blog, and the commitment -- you amaze me! Rock on, my Brother! You have my prayers, as always -- not that you need them, because you have the strength of Samson and the wisdom of Solomon, but you have them, and my love, besides.

    ReplyDelete